9.28.2008

Transitioning Northward: Tucson to Flagstaff

Hoş geldiniz, arkadaşlar! That means "welcome, friends" in Turkish...

My life in the last few months has been marked by transition and the experience of many new things. I transitioned from college student to "adult" in the real world. I went to Istanbul, Turkey by myself this summer to study abroad. I moved from Tucson to Flagstaff. I started my first job(s) as a college graduate...and the list goes on! And all this happened in a matter of about 3 months. So guess what?? I am a grown-up now! Or at least I feel more like one. But, despite the newness and unfamiliarity (and sometimes, stress!) of everything, I have peace and assurance that where I am now is exactly where I should be--in Flagstaff, AZ as an intern with InterVarsity.

First off, I graduated this May from the University of Arizona with a bachelor of science in Regional Development and said goodbye to many dear friends in Tucson. Then in June, I left to spend two months of my summer in Istanbul. I was honored to receive a fellowship from Princeton and the U.S. Dept. of Education to take part in an intensive summer Turkish language program. This was an absolutely awesome experience! Though it was challenging traveling alone and studying really hard all summer (after graduating, too!), I do not regret the adventure I was able to have. Some highlights from the summer include: 1) rekindling a friendship from last summer with my Turkish friend, Saba (pictured above), 2) visiting the cities of Adana and Izmir to see good friends (shout out to Chelsea!) and eat amazing food, 3) exploring really old stuff and places (Istanbul was the home of three major historical empires!), 4) worshiping and praying with the Turkish church, 5) making significant progress on my learning of the language, and finally 6) swimming across the Bosphorous Strait--from Asia to Europe!

Upon my return from Turkey, I immediately moved to Flagstaff to begin new student outreach and training for my internship at NAU. I am grateful to have a great living situation. I am staying this semester with Sue Mills and her family and am happy to say that their two girls, Joy and Abby (see right), like me and let me play with them. Also, I am blessed to have found part-time work outside of my internship relatively easy (thanks Esther!). I am a library and tech aide at a local elementary school here. I find this job not very stressful and actually fun at times when I get to teach a child (or teacher!) how to operate their computers and use the library. Outside of work on campus and at the elementary, I have found ways to seek rest and adventure by riding my bike around town, developing friendships with the interns, hiking, cooking weekly for the Mills family, and taking up swimming regularly again. I just joined the Masters swim team here in an effort to get back in shape and enjoy the sport I once loved so much.

So here I am. A bona fide adult in a new city with new jobs and new people surrounding her. It's really crazy, actually. But, nevertheless I am excited to see what our Father brings my way this year as He reminds me of who I am and what He's calling me to. Adventures await!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Iam so proud of you Anneliese!
Mom